This is one of my favourite desserts. It’s truly scrumptious, easy to make and you can experiment using any fruit you like – so far, I’ve tried raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. (Let me know if you make something else work!)
- 175g Ground Almonds
- 175g Vegan Margarine
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- A splash of dairy free milk (You’ve kinda gotta eye ball this one!)
- 1 tbsp Sunflower or Coconut oil
- Fruit of your choice (enough to cover the base of your tin).
- Put ground almonds, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Melt the margarine (and oil if its solid) in a sauce pan.
- Add the margarine, oil and milk (around 2tbsps.) to the dry ingredients and mix well. (The mixture should be quite thick, not like a standard cake mixture. But if it seems to dry, add a little milk).
- Put half the mixture into a greased tin.
- Cover this layer with fruit. Then spread the rest of the mixture over the top.
- Bake in the oven for around 1 hour at 160°c.
TIP: Be sure to check the cake after 30/40 minutes, and if it starts to look brown, but isn’t cooked inside yet, cover with foil and continue to bake.
Best enjoyed warm with vegan custard or ice cream.