We’ve reached the time of year when we all have far too many courgettes and marrows growing than we know what to do with. And if you aren’t growing them yourself, then you’ll most likely have friends who are desperate to get rid of them, or you’ll see them lined up outside house’s as a free giveaway.
Snap them up quick because I have a delicious recipe for them. CAKE!
- 350g Courgette/marrow
- 125ml Sunflower/ veg oil
- 100g Light muscovado sugar
- 1/2 Lemon (juice and zest)
- 300g Self raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Lemon juice and icing sugar (as much or as little as you want!)
- Set the oven to 180ºc, and line a loaf tin.
- Grate or whizz in a food processor the courgette or marrow. Then squeeze the juice out of it, using your hands or a tea towel.
- Mix the oil, lemon, sugar and courgette in a bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix.
- Pour batter into loaf tin and bake for around 70 minutes. (If it looks like the top is browning/ burning but the inside isn’t cooked, cover with foil and continue to bake.
- Once cooked, leave to cool and cover with icing.